Mercury is a natural element that has been used in dental restorations for years. Silver amalgam fillings are a combination of metal powder and mercury, which many have received in the past to restore decayed teeth. Though once believed to be safe, new studies have shown that mercury amalgam fillings can become unstable and possibly even toxic when exposed to certain conditions. In fact, over half of practicing dentists in the U.S. consider themselves to be “mercury-free” dentists, meaning they do not place amalgam fillings or use mercury products in their offices.
As part of our commitment to bio-rejuvenation, we go beyond being just mercury-free and seek to improve our patient’s overall health by using materials that are biologically compatible. With options for natural-looking porcelain and BPA-free composites, we’ll help find a restoration that’s safe and appropriate for you. Dentistry that is sustainable to the patient and the environment is our goal, as we want you to have a natural smile without harmful toxins. Whether you need a new dental filling or are looking for a replacement of current mercury amalgam fillings, we’ll ensure you get the safest options available.
At Dental Health by Herre, we take mercury-free dentistry to the next level and are considered a “mercury-safe” dental office. When silver amalgam fillings are removed, unsafe levels of mercury vapors are released into the air, causing a negative environment for patients and staff. It’s important that, should a patient choose to have their silver fillings removed, the process is completed safely and appropriately to minimize risk of mercury exposure.
In our office, we use the SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) protocol to remove and replace amalgam fillings. Since patient’s safety and total wellness are our top priorities, we’ve received specific training to ensure the removal of amalgam is safe and effective. The SMART protocol that we follow recommends the following:
- Use of an amalgam separator to collect waste and ensure it does not leak into the water supply or atmosphere.
- Vitamin C and charcoal supplements as a preventive method to bind and remove any possible exposure.
- Preventing accidental swallowing of amalgam particles by using a rubber dam, which can help lower exposure through your cheeks and gums as well.
- Fresh oxygen supply throughout the procedure to ensure you aren’t breathing in mercury vapor.
- Water and suction to collect particles and vacuum vapors.
- Removal of the amalgam filling in large chunks to eliminate drilling and the possibility of greater vapor exposure.
Bio-rejuvenation dentistry focuses on improving your whole health and total wellness. That’s why we take all the necessary steps to ensure that every service we perform is at the highest level of safety and promotes long-term wellness. If you currently have old amalgam fillings, talk to us today to learn about the safest form of removal.